Thursday, August 4, 2011

A Passion-Filled Life

When I met Will, we were in high school. I remember sitting on a picnic table with him outside my house. We had only been dating a month or so. I don't quite remember my thought process at the time but I remember just blurting out: "I think you should know that I plan to go to college and I plan to be a stay at home mom. So I need to know now if that is going to be a problem?" There was silence and  I was afraid I might have just scared that boy away.

Seven years later, I married that boy. Five years after that, I had my son. I was living my dream. I was the college educated stay at home mom I always dreamed of being. But still, I felt my life was lacking something. So we decided to have more kids. Infertility became a struggle for us again and I needed something to occupy my mind. So one Mother's Day, my husband bought me the Adobe Creative Suites. And so during the day I played mom, and at night until the wee hours of the morning, I played designer. Little by little I started designing for others.  Little by little I started making money.

Four years after my son was born and by the grace of God, we had our daughter. She wasn't even a week old when I felt pulled to go back to work {from home, and while she napped}. I had gotten a taste of entrepreneurship and passion-filled work. I had stepped into my potential and it felt great. But I was seeing a transformation I wasn't sure I was ready to make. Who had I become? I was abandoning the ideals I had had as a young girl sitting on that picnic table with her sweetheart. And what was worse was that it was by choice. Dirty truth be told, I felt that by making that choice willingly, I was abandoning my children.

It took me a long time and a lot of praying to to be okay with growing me. This quote kept going 'round and 'round in my head for months and everyday I wondered where I would be today if a week ago, a month ago, a year ago, I had taken a leap of faith.  

I wondered what would happen if I committed myself to a life of passion-filled work. I wondered what impact that would have on how I raise  my children. Would I be happier for it? Would they be happier for it?  So this past month, I took a huge leap of faith. I decided to put all my pennies into Making Things Happen for my business. For my family. I packed my bags, said goodbye to my Littles and my Big, and I headed to Pensacola, Florida to meet some ladies who were doing some extraordinary things in their life.

I have been hard at work planting the seeds to make some BIG things happen in my life. Some of it has already happened. Some of it is a work in progress.  I can't wait to share some more about my experience at the Making Things Happen intensive. I can't wait to share some of the things I am working on. But most of all, I can't wait to show my children how to live a passion-filled life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails