Friday, September 26, 2008

Family Friday - Nana


I have been wanting to dedicate blogs to special and important people in our lives but the truth is where does one begin? If I start with Mimi, will Nana think she's second fiddle?

But the fact is that there are some wonderful people in our lives that I'd like the world to know about and since I decided to name it Family Friday and since Cole goes to Nana's every Friday for a sleepover, I thought it was just convenient to start with Nana.

Nana is my mom. She's a go-getter, mulit-tasker, charismatic little lady. My mother, unlike myself, is super lovey dovey. I used to teach Kindergarten at the same school my mother worked and I used to tease that it was so embarrasing that I was a big girl in Kindergarten and my mother was still kissing me in front of the kids every morning. Seriously, she went in every morning to my class and would say hello to all my students and then give me a big hug and a kiss. People never believe me when I try to describe my mother's love towards us. She calls and leaves me voicemails saying, "Vannessita, I love you. I was just thinking about you and wanted to call to say hello and tell you how much I love you. I hope you're having a great day." It's not just the words, she says it like she's singing it.

Back to my point, it didn't surpsirse me that she loved the grandkids with such passion, it surpsied me that she wanted to spend so much time with them. My mother is like a wild horse, she doesn't like to be tied down. She was a good mother and was always there, we never held her back. But I just thought that as she got older she would be happy to have her freedom, to go wherever she wanted to go and for as long as she wanted without having to worry about taking care of little ones. I mean, isn't that what grandparents aspire to do?

Well, not this abuelita. She comes over every single day to see Cole. Mind you she lives and works on the other side of town, the boondocks, bfe, the country.... Nonetheless, she'll take her lunch to come spend some time with Cole if she can't make it after work. She is crazy about him it's crazy.

I am so thankful that we have decided to rasie our family here. Where would we be without them? Who would we be without them so near? Who would Cole be?

Everytime the doorbell rings, Cole yells "Nana". Sometimes he's dissaponted, most times he's pleased to see his Nana walk through the door and make his day shine. Her visits are way too short by Cole's standards-mine too. He would stay up until the break of dawn if we let him just to spend his time with her. They are just two crazy fools in awe and in love with one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails