Saturday, September 20, 2008

"Mo Money"

"If your hand is open to give, it is open to receive." -Nanny

Some of the best advice I've ever heard is from Nanny. Nanny is Will's grandmother. She has always been a giver, it's impossible to do her a favor because she always gives us some "green" - as she calls it. Cole and I will stop for a visit and take her her favorite treat, a Buterfinger Blizzard from Dairy Queen. Then she tells me to look in the "book". The book is awesome, it grows money! Makes me feel guilty when all I'm trying to do is treat her, and then she ends up giving me more than I had spent on her. So I always ask myself, who is really giving? So Will and I use to talk about wether or not to take her money. We have come to the conclusion that it is her joy. Perhaps it makes her feel needed, or it makes the world go round. But I think about her and how open she is to giving all the time. I don't think she means money necessarily, but advice, love, kindness, opportunities, faith. It's The Golden Rule, reworded.

Every Sunday, Nanny gives Cole a dollar and she tells him, "Take it to Daddy", so he does. Then he comes back to her, holds his hand out, and says "Mo". She pulls out another dollar and hands it to him and says "Take it to Mommy", and he does. Then he returns to Nanny, holds out his hand, and says, "Mo". This continues until everyone has gotten a dollar. Here's a video of Cole and Nanny doing their thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails