Sunday, November 30, 2008

High School Girl

A few months ago I was hired to give the keynote speech to 180 young ladies at the country club. These ladies were Juniors and Seniors in high school and they were all taking part in Cotillion.

This is the 3rd year that I have had the distinguished honor to speak to such a fine group of ladies. It gets better every year! (Except for the whole texting under the table,... I totally saw you!)

Anyway, before my speeches I like to walk around and meet and greet everyone. I had just started, I was at the second table and I walked up to the girls and asked, "So where do you go to school?"

They were very polite and told me where they went to school. I always ask this question because every year, without fail, you can walk around and room and the girls seat themselves by school. It makes sense, I know,...but they should be mingling! That's the whole point of coming out.

We chatted a minute or so and as I was getting ready to leave, one of the girls asks me, "Where do you go to school?"

I probably turned beat red but then I told her I was the speaker. It was too funny. It has never occurred to me that they would think I am a high school student. I know, that makes sense too.

I made sure to mention it during the speech and that got a good laugh. Not to worry: I didn't point anyone out, that would have been rude.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails