Monday, September 7, 2009

White Prohibition

So it's Labor Day and I had been in a mad dash the last month or so to "wear out" my white so that I can pack 'em up until next Easter. I was curious about the prohibition of white after Labor Day so in my spare time I decided to Google it (did I mention I LOVE Google!?)

Two theories I found on how the "white after Labor Day prohibition" might have come about:

"The only logical reasoning we could find cited temperature. Image consultant Nancy Penn suggests that because white reflects light and heat, wearing white would make you cooler in winter, and thus should be avoided.

But others suggest the rule stems from a class issue. Acting Director of the Museum at the Fashion Institute of Technology Valerie Steele notes that in the late 19th century and the 1950s, more people were entering the middle classes. These nouveau-riche folks were often unaware of the standards of high society, so they were given specific codified rules to follow in order to fit in."


Note: My research may have been much more extensive but an emergency midnight design call came in and I had to abandon my search for my client. However, below are some of my notes:
  • White in all of the 2009 Fall fashion collections looked fantabulous!
  • Put the linens and light wight cottons away (not just the whites), they are never acceptable in the Winter or Fall.
  • White jeans are a hot item in winter - you can pair them with some high black boots, or "Hooker Boots" as I like to call mine.
  • White tennis shoes are exempt.
I don't know about you but I still will not wear white but it may have more to do with the fact that a week or so ago I wore this awesome flow-y long white summer dress out as I had done many many times before. I thought I looked awesome in it so I was confident when I wore it to drop Cole off and pick him up. I even made sure to go ahead and run the extra errands that day because it's not often I dress up.
I stroll up to Sissy's work with my little tyke in tow expecting her to be all thumbs up about my dress. Well, first she asked what underwear I was wearing because she could make out the outline. Then she kindly asked what was up with "the puppies". First of all, what are puppies? Secondly, crap!!!! Are you kidding me???? I flaunted this dress in my son's preschool! Should have had my black high boots on and that surely would've completed the look. I packed that sucker up and I am horrified of white now-any time of the year.

In case you're wondering which dress I mean, it is this one. and yes, it was pg in this picture...

(Oh by the by, Sissy says I should wear red bottoms. Maybe next year I'll have recovered from my expose to try that out.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails